Early diagnosis of preeclampsia (PE) can improve maternal and perinatal outcome. PE is a pregnancy complication that causes high blood pressure, kidney damage, and other problems. It refers to the onset of hypertension with proteinuria and/or end-organ dysfunction after 20 weeks of gestation in a previously normotensive woman. The clinical manifestations of PE can appear […]
Philips Africa has announced the appointment of Jasper Westerink as Chief Executive Officer (Market Leader) for Philips Africa based out of Johannesburg. Westerink joined the Africa organisation (effective December 2016) with the aim of accelerating development of Philips’ health technology portfolio; he joins the Africa organisation from his posting in Indonesia where he was the […]
Cipla Medpro South Africa today announced that the company has acquired Anmaraté, by purchasing 100% of the issued share capital. Paul Miller, CEO of Cipla South Africa, stated that out of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies in South Africa, Cipla is the fastest growing and currently positioned in the top 3 pharmaceutical companies in the […]
Merck recently announced the publication of the results of a post hoc analysis of the Phase III CLARITY study in Multiple Sclerosis Journal. The analysis showed that Cladribine Tablets reduced the annualised rate of brain volume loss – also known as brain atrophy – compared with placebo in patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS). […]
Healthcare reimbursement in SA is at a crossroads. Globally, there is a move towards value-based care, while fee-for-service is being phased out. Alternative reimbursement models are being adapted to incorporate outcomes-based reimbursements, which reward the delivery of value by physicians. The quest to curb the rising costs of cancer treatment without sacrificing patient outcomes has […]
Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS) a complex condition caused by a chromosomal imbalance. PWS is a genetic condition which affects many parts of the body. It’s challenging for the young person with PWS and their families. Currently, there is no cure. (more…)
Doc-U-Mentally – a film which aptly captures the pressures junior doctors face in South Africa – won the award for ‘Best Cinematography’ at the South African Film and Television Awards (SAFTA), which was held at Sun City. (more…)
To coincide with World Glaucoma Week 2017 which took place from the 12-18 March, Novartis has highlighted results of an international survey showing that the majority of those surveyed (54% of respondents) are unfamiliar with glaucoma. Glaucoma, a leading cause of blindness, affects approximately 60 million people around the world. Glaucoma is often undetected because […]
Search Medical Chronicle
- PE screening April 24, 2017
- Jasper Westerink appointed as new CEO of Philips Africa April 24, 2017
- Cipla acquires 100% of Anmaraté April 24, 2017
- Autism: world of radio silence April 4, 2017
- PE screening April 24, 2017
- Dr Jacques Snyman appointed CEO of MSH February 6, 2017
- Maternity care crisis in private sector February 15, 2017
- Heart disease grant to give UCT research a boost February 16, 2017
- Organ trafficking today is still a protected crime - world.edu: […] professionals were implicated in the Net...
- Scheme rules: It’s war - Medical Chronicle: [...] full letter is available here. Medical Chro...
- Byron Qually » Residential telemedicine device: [...] initiatives have been withdrawn due to their...
- ICON | Independent Clinical Oncology Network | Cancer care: [...] operationalise the ICCCM, ICON and IPAF, in ...